Go to content Go to the menu Go to the search

The Laboratory - Laboratoire d'Océanographie de Villefranche-sur-Mer
Unité Mixte de Recherche 7093 – CNRS/UPMC

Tutorship

UPMC

UPMC

CNRS
| lire cet article en Français

Key figures

 LOV members - DECEMBER 2016 (80)

 

- 32 Research Scientists and University Faculty

- 18 permanent technical and administrative staff

- 10 Post-docs

- 7 externally funded staff

- 13 Ph.D. students

Frise historique du LOV

 

History of The LOV

La rade de Villefranche-sur-MerThe Oceanographic Laboratory of Villefranche-sur-Mer was created in January 2001 by the merger of the Laboratory of Biological Oceanography and Plankton Ecology (LBOPE) and the Villefranche component of the Paris-based Laboratory of Marine Physics and Chemistry (LMPC). Through its twin origins the LOV traces its roots through a long prestigious history summarized in the table below.

 

History of the LOV: The Origins of the LBOPE

Year

Director

Name

1882-1885

Jules Barrois

Laboratoire zoologique, of the l’Ecole des Hautes Études

1885-1888

Alexis de Korotneff

Zoological Station of Villefranche

1888-1915

Alexis de Korotneff

Russian Zoological Station under Russian Education Ministry

1916-1928

Michel Davidoff

 

1929-1932

Grégoire Trégouboff 1

Station russe de Zoologie, Minis. Instruction publique de Russie

1932-1956

Grégoire Trégouboff 1

Station Zoologique, campus of the Laboratoire de Banyuls; 1944-1945: closed WW2

1950-1970

Paul Bougis

Station Zoologique, campus of the Laboratoire de Banyuls

1971-1982

Paul Bougis

Station Zoologique

1983-1994

Paul Nival

Laboratory of Marine Plankton Ecology

1995

Patrick Buat- Ménard 2

Reorganization: merging Laboratory of Marine Plankton 2, Laboratory of Biochemical Oceanography and Adaptive Processes 3and the Laboratory of Marine Physics and Chemistry

1996-2000

Fereidoun Rassoulzadegan

Laboratory of Biological Oceanography and Plankton Ecology 4

2001-2010

Louis Legendre

Laboratoire d’Oceanographic Laboratory of Villefranche 5

2011-2018

Antoine Sciandra

Oceanographic Laboratory of Villefranche

1 Resident Assistant-Director. Directors: Michel Davidoff (1929-1932), Octave Duboscq (1932-1937), Édouard Chatton (1937-1947), vacance (1947-1949), Georges Petit (1950-1964), Pierre Drach (1964-1970)
2 Responsables de l’Chair : Fereidoun Rassoulzadegan
3 Chair : Patrick Mayzaud
4 merging of the group Océanographie Biochimique et Processus Adaptatifs (responsable : Patrick Mayzaud, 1992-1994) with the Laboratory of Marine Plankton Ecology
5Merging of the Laboratory of Biological Oceanography and Plankton Ecology (LBOPE) and the Laboratory of Marine Physics and Chemistry (LMPC)

History of the Laboratory of Biological Oceanography and Plankton Ecology (LBOPE)

The origins of the LBOPE reach back to the creation of the Station Zoologique de Villefranche which began as small field laboratory founded by Jules Barrois and Hermann Fol in 1882 in a Lazeret (quarantine building). Later they acquired the use of the buildings known as the Galiériens and Vielle Forge. In 1888 the buildings they occupied, formerly used by the Russian Navy as a coal depot, were re-possessed by the Russian government at the demand of Alexandre Korotoneff to establish the Russian Zoological Station. Following the Russian Revolution, the buildings were taken over by the French government. Grégroire Tregoubouf assumed the direction in 1929 and the Russian Station was formerly transferred to the University of Paris in 1932. From 1936 to 1970 the Station Zoologique was a satellite station of the Banyuls Arago Laboratory in Banyuls-sur-Mer. During this period the Station was run by vice-directors who resided in the station: Grégoire Tregouboff (1929-1956) and later Paul Bougis (1956-1970). Paul Bougis later became the Director of the Station when the Station Zoologique became a field campus of the University of Paris, in it own right, alongside Banyuls and Roscoff . Bougis was succeded by Paul Nival (1983-1994) as director of the 'Laboratory of Plankton Ecology' which became the Laboratory of Biological Oceanography and Plankton Ecology under the direction of Fereidoun Rassoulzadegan (1996-2000).

History of the Laboratory of Marine Physics and Chemistry (LMPC).

The LMPC began as the Laboratory of Physical Oceanography of the University of Paris founded by Alexandre Ivanoff in 1961. A Villefranche facility was established in 1966. The laboratory became a research/teaching unit co-administered by the University of Paris and the CNRS in 1971 under the name of the Laboratory of Marine Physics and Chemistry. The directors were Alexandre Ivanoff (1971-1982), André Morel (1983-1994) et Alain Poisson (1995-2000). The Villefranche branch was under the local direction of André Morel (1966-1982), Jean-Claude Marty (1997-1998) and Louis Prieur (1999-2000). In 2001 the Villefranche branch became part of the Oceanographic Laboratory of Villefranche and the Paris branch was reformed as the Laboratory of Marine Biogeochemistry under the direction of Alain Poisson.

History of the LOV: The Origins of the LMPC

Year

Director

Name

1961-1965

Alexandre Ivanoff

Laboratoire d'Océanographie Physique de la Faculté des Sciences de Paris

1966-1970

André Morel 1

Laboratoire d'Océanographie Physique de la Faculté des Sciences de Paris : Antenne villefranchoise

1971-1982

André Morel 1

Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines

1983-1994

André Morel

Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines

1995

Patrick Buat- Ménard 2

Restructuration : Laboratoire d'Écologie du Plancton Marin, Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines 2 et Équipe postulante Océanographie Biochimique et Processus Adaptatifs

1996-2000

Alain Poisson 3

Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines

2001-2010

Louis Legendre

Laboratoire d’Océanographie de Villefranche 4

1 Local (Villefranche) director. Head director : Alexandre Ivanoff (1966- 1982)
2 Dept. Head : Alain Poisson
3Local Directors : Jean-Claude Marty (1997-1998), Louis Prieur (1999-2000)
4 merging of the Laboratoire d'Océanographie Biologique et Écologie du Plancton Marin et du Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines

Creation of the LOV

1995 was a year of restructuring under the direction of Patrick Buat- Ménard, with the ultimate goal of merging three laboratories of the Villefranche campus: the 'Laboratoire d’Écologie du Plancton Marin', the 'Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines' and group 'Océanographie Biochimique et Processus Adaptatifs'. The reorganisation led to a reduction to two laboratories in 1996: the Laboratoire d’Océanographie Biologique et d’Ecologie du Plancton Marin (LOBEPM) and the Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie Marines (LPCM). En 2001, the LOBEPM and the Villefranche branch of the Paris-based LPCM were merged to form the LOV.

The Oceanographic Observatory of Villefranche-sur-Mer

The research and administrative units described below played key roles in the history and development of the present day Oceanographic Observatory. In 1974 the three Villefranche laboratories (Station Zoologique, LPCM and the Laboratoire de Géodynamique Sous-Marine) were united as three components of the Marine Station of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie (Paris) under the direction of Paul Bougis until 1983. The Station Marine became the Centre d’Études et de Recherches Océanographiques de Villefranche (CEROV) in 1983 under the direction of André Morel from 1983 to 1989. In 1989 the CEROV became the Observatoire Océanographique first under the direction of Jacques Soyer and then successively Michel Glas, Fauzi Mantoura and since 2012 Gabriel Gorsky.